For those who are gluten intolerant or have Celiac Disease, finding a good recipe for sandwich bread that has a nice texture and holds together well can take some trial and error. A bread machine can help with the texture. However, older models of bread machines aren’t really designed to bake gluten-free bread because the dough only needs to proof once.
The best gluten-free bread machine is one that actually has a gluten-free setting. The recipe described here is for making a white sandwich bread in a machine with a gluten-free setting.
A Few Tips for Making Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
Gluten-free ingredients for bread can be a little tricky to work with if you don’t have much practice with non-wheat flours, starches, and gums. These blends rise differently than gluten flour mixes. They also can be a little more dense or sticky, so you need to be mindful of even cooking. Using a bread machine with a gluten-free setting is a good idea. Here are some tips for success.
- Have all of your ingredients at room temperature.
- Place your wet ingredients in the pan before your dry ingredients.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the pan during the mixing cycle to make sure everything is mixed well.
- Have a digital thermometer on hand to check the internal temperature of the bread to make sure the center is fully cooked, at least 205°F.
- Allow the bread to cool slightly inside the pan before removing it to a cooling rack.
- After the bread is completely cool, use a serrated bread knife to slice it.
- Store the bread in an air-tight container or plastic bag for a few days or freeze it.
Now, let’s get to the recipe.
Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Servings: 14 to 16 slices
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup milk or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup millet or garbanzo bean flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 packet (2-1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, milk, oil, and vinegar. Set aside to come to room temperature.
2. In a larger mixing bowl, add the 3 flours, potato starch, sugar, xanthan gum, yeast, and salt. Whisk all of this together to combine well.
3. Place the paddle in the base of the bread machine pan. Pour the wet ingredients into the pan. Add the dry ingredients to the wet.
4. Turn the bread machine on to the gluten-free setting (one rise). While the dough is on the mix cycle, you may want to help it along by scraping the dry ingredients from the sides so that everything is thoroughly incorporated. (Gluten-free ingredients can be finicky).
5. When the bread is finished baking, check the internal temperature with a digital instant-read thermometer. It needs to be at least 205°F for the center of the bread to be fully cooked. Bake for an additional 10 minutes if needed. Allow the bread to cool inside the machine for 10 minutes.
6. Gently remove the bread from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely before removing the paddle and slicing.
Enjoying Your Bread
Sandwich bread made in the best gluten-free bread machine should have a light texture and pleasant flavor. You can toast the slices on the rack of a toaster oven for a crunchy texture before assembling your sandwiches.
You can also butter your bread on one face and assemble sandwiches with cheese and any other ingredients you enjoy, such as bacon, tomatoes, or tuna fish and grill the sandwiches. One of the best gluten-free sandwiches is a cheesy one that is cooked until crisp on a contact grill or panini press.