What is a registered office address?
A registered office address is the official address of your limited company and this is the mailing address where all official communication like letters, legal notices or reminders will be sent to.
This makes it necessary for you to have an address that can be accessed physically and at the same location where your company is located. Furthermore, is important to store any of your organisation’s records or statutory registres in case there is a need for inspection. Having a registered office is a legal requirement that you should strive to be compliant with.
Considerations before picking out an office address
Even before you dive into picking an official postal address for your business, there are some few things that you must first consider before going ahead with your plan to set up your registered office address:
It is a requirement to have a registered office address
Having an official address affirms that you are transparent in your dealings and you don’t mind being tracked down. It will be expected that you will keep all your accounts and registres at your office address and always make them available to auditors and shareholders for inspection when and if need be.
Find out where the address will be shown
You address will be published somewhere so that other interested users of such information can find it. You may not know who wants to get in touch with you thus it is important to you find out where they will be shown. It could be on company publications, invoices or websites among other channels of communication.
Know the addresses you can use and those you can’t
Be keen to consider the addresses that are available for you to use because they must show where your business is located. However, it is important to note that some landlords and property agents don’t allow tenants to use their addresses, especially if it is in a residential building. Many tenancy agreements don’t allow tenants to use the premises for any business-related activities.
Acquaint yourself with the benefits of having an address
This is a key consideration in the process of getting yourself an official address. You should be able to know all the benefits that will accrue to you by merely having a registered office address.
Why you need a registered office address
Registering your business and getting a postal address is an important endeavour, far from just being a legal requirement that you have to be compliant with. Here are some benefits of a registered office address that will make you rethink your options:
- Privacy: Setting yourself up with an official address means that you have successfully managed to draw a line between your home and personal life with your business life. People can’t have access to your home’s personal address and this will go a long way in giving you peace of mind. You don’t want business letters coming to your home or having to take meetings from your patio.
- Giving your business a professional touch: An official address is a crucial step in improving the brand of your business or company. Your clients and associates will consider it more professional and thus will treat your business as such. Having a good corporate image will work well in helping you drive your sales margins.
- Makes you much bigger than you actually are: Impression is everything and having a registered office will create the impression that you are successful and it will make you look bigger than you are. It gives an overall impression that there is a lot going on and you are ready to tackle anything that comes your way.
- Gives you an official contact for any mail from the government: A registred office address makes your business to the government. This comes with its perks like giving you a platform to receive any form of government mailing as soon as it comes in. You will always stay current in all government communications.
- Increases the credibility of your business: Going ahead to register your company’s address shows that you can be trusted. This increases your credibility and can land you new customers. You will definitely get newer walk-in clients day by day hence boosting your sales.